Created by: Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern
Cast: Enrico Colantoni (1), Hugh Dillon (2), Amy Jo Johnson (3), Sergio Di Zio (4), David Paetkau (5), Michael Cram, and Mark Taylor
Read about ‘He Knows His Brother’, the seventh of Flashpoint.
Episode 8 – Never Kissed A Girl
“But he’s blind man, so what? So is justice right?”
– Runaway Jury
Justice. I wrote a review on the film Runaway Jury in January and remembered the above quote about how justice is blind. This episode kinda reminds me of that. It’s one of those cases where you find yourself secretly rooting for the guy holding the gun even though you know his methods is wrong you can’t help but feel for the guy. This episode also ties in with the very first episode of Flashpoint and Ed being sued is one of the side effects of the job. It also does a good job of continuing to show how the job affects the team members. I also like that although their livelihood involved death and guns, the team understands that “a gun never solved anything”.
Ed: Are you kidding me? A guy walks into a building, shoots a woman dead, holds another woman hostage, turns his gun on you, I do what I’m hired and trained to do. Come on!
Greg: I know, that’s the truth of what happened nobody doubts that.
Ed: Somebody does! Somebody does! That’s… You know.
Greg: Yeah, the guy’s son. Everybody grieves in their own way, right, you know that. They look for somebody to blame.
Ed: Well look no further.
Michael: I spent 11 years in there wondering what happened. How somebody could get on the stand and say that I said things that I didn’t even know. Ian if we don’t appeal…
Ian: Michael! Come on. You’re young, you’re 26, you got early parole. You got your whole life, you’re free.
Michael: No I’m not free Ian. Okay. As long as they think I killed Katie, her family, my family, everyone I ever met, everyone I ever knew. I’d never be free.
Ian: I can’t help you.
Greg: Parker here.
Ed: Boss, hey, it’s me. Yeah, I… I’m in a stairwell off a… off a third floor with a young man… what’s your name?
Michael: Forget my name! Ask about Cheznik!
Greg: Young man? What are you saying, Ed? Are you telling me you’re with the subject now?
Greg: Okay. Hang tight, we’re right outside the building.
Ed: We’re looking for a… for a… for a prosecutor named Dan Cheznik.
Greg: You got your gun, Ed?
Ed: No, no, no. It’s… it’s C-H-E…
Greg: Are you telling me that he’s got you at gunpoint?
Ed: That’s right, yeah. We just need a location for the young man and the lady here.
Greg: Okay, he’s got a hostage?
Greg: Do you want the team on immediate action plan? Just give me “yes.”
Ed: No… no, no. He’s a prosecutor.
Greg: Okay, just stay on the line with me, Ed.
Michael: Tell him you’ll call him back.
Ed: Boss, I’m gonna have to call you back.
Greg: Okay. (to the team) Stairwell off the third floor. Guy’s got 2 hostages, one’s a young woman.
Jules: How do we know?
Greg: Cos Ed’s the second hostage. Guys he doesn’t have his gun with him.
Lou: Oh no.
|Spike is so sweet and funny in this scene…|
Greg: Okay, subject is in the corridor, seconds away.
Sam: Spike. Let’s go.
Spike: Okay. Hey! No! Up!
Greg: They’re at the door.
Spike: Up! You can’t be here.
Greg: 5 seconds.
Spike: Come on. Go…
Michael: You don’t get it do you. I have nothing left. I’m not afraid to use this. I will kill you both, leave you both dying here. I do not care anymore.
Spike: Okay come here. That’s it. Come.
Greg: Come on buddy, just buy us a minute here. Buy us a minute.
Wordy: He came into the courthouse with a gun looking for you and you have no idea who he is?
Dan: That could be anyone. You remember every bad guy you’ve arrested?
Wordy: Any idea why he’d go after you?
Dan: Sure. Same reason I live in a bunker, drive home in an armored car. I’m a prosecutor who does his job well.
Wordy: Just so you know, that’s my team mate staring down the long end of this guy’s gun, so I’d appreciate it if you think real hard about this. Let’s start over. Any hate mail recently? Any threatening phone calls?
|“A gun never solved anything”|
|Constable Michelangelo “Spike” Scarlatti|
|Sergeant Gregory “Greg” Parker|
|Constable Samuel “Sam” Braddock|
|Constable Julianna “Jules” Callaghan|
|Constable Kevin “Wordy” James Wordsworth|
|Constable Edward “Ed” Tucker Lane|
|Constable Lewis “Lou” Young|
My favourite quotes – “Stay cool. Slow him down. Put him on our time okay.”, “Just put the gun down. Put the gun down and you take me instead okay. Take me instead.”, & “A gun never solved anything believe me.”
(1) Enrico Colantoni has acted in films like Stigmata (1999), Galaxy Quest (1999), and Contagion (2011). He has also played Veronica Mars’ father Keith Mars in the television series Veronica Mars (2004-2007), and he has also guest starred in television series like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Monk, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Numb3rs, Brothers & Sisters, Bones, and Person Of Interest.
(2) Hugh Dillon has acted in films like Lone Hero (2002), and Assault On Precinct 13 (2005).
(3) Amy Jo Johnson has acted in films like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995), and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997). She played the role of Pink Power Ranger Kimberly Hart in the television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993-1995), and as Julie Emrick in the series Felicity (1998-2002). She also guest starred in television series like ER and Spin City.
(4) Sergio Di Zio has acted in films like National Lampoon’s Senior Trip (1995), and Just Buried (2007).
(5) David Paetkau has acted in films like Final Destination 2 (2003), I’ll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006), Goon (2011), and Man Of Steel (2013). He has goest starred in television series like Smallville, Stargate SG-1, CSI: Miami, Supernatural, and Dexter.
* Posters are from the website TVpedia with screen grabs from the show.