Alex: That’s true.
Gigi: But when I was hurling my body onto yours, you did not seem to want to make it happen.
Alex: Okay, yeah, here’s the thing about that… You were right. I’d gotten so used to keeping myself at a safe distance from all these women and having the power that, that I didn’t know what it felt like when I actually fell for one of them… I didn’t know.
Gigi: Look, I just went out with your friend Bill. He might be just exactly what I need. No drama, he calls; he does what he says…
Alex: [stepping closer] I can do that stuff too…
Gigi: But you didn’t! And that same wise person told me that I’m the rule. That I have to stop thinking that every guy will change, that I have to stop thinking that… [Alex kisses her] … I’m the exception…
Alex: [whispers] You are my exception.
Theirs is a relationship that grew from friendship. And I think I’m very similar to Gigi. Okay I don’t cyber stalk guys I’m interested in but I never give up on love. I might not be actively looking out for love at the moment, but I am open to the right one turning up on my doorstep. Yes, you say sitting around on my bum waiting for prince charming to come is stupid and I should do something about it. Well I do try. I have gone for a couple of SDN events. However, they have all come to naught. At the moment, I have decided to work on me first. I will keep exercising and try to make sure I don’t overeat too much and work on my dressing etc. It is true isn’t it. People judge other people through the way they carry themselves and the way they look. So until I can be entirely happy with how I look and dress, I don’t think I am the best me to attract someone I’d like to be with.
“I had this guy leave me a voice mail at work so I called him at home and then he e-mailed me to my Blackberry and so I texted to his cell and then he e-mailed me to my home account and the whole thing just got out of control. I miss the days when you had one phone number and one answering machine and that one answering machine has one cassette tape and that one cassette tape either had a message from a guy or it didn’t. And now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It’s exhausting.”
Next is Mary. Mary reminds me a little of me too. Searching for true love through so many avenues. But all she wants is to meet someone organically, face to face. Why can’t people fall in love the old fashioned way. Not by match-making, not through any online or social media platforms. Mary, I totally agree with you, it’s exhausting. And what I like about her story with Connor is that eventually, love finds you when you least expect it. Her story with Connor also tells me that you shouldn’t assume, anything and everything is possible. You must give it a chance, try it and see if it will work. But after you’ve tried and it still doesn’t work out then so be it. Maybe you’re not meant to be, which brings to mind, Connor and Anna as well as Anna, Ben, & Janine.
Gigi: I think I’ve figured it out. Remember when I went out with that notary public and he cheated on me and then Anastasia from upstairs told me about how her boyfriend cheated on her in the beginning then he totally changed and now they’re married and crazy in love?
Gigi: No notary. Anyway my point is, Anastasia is the exception, not the rule. We have to stop listening to these stories because the rule is most guys who cheat on you up front don’t really care about you very much.
Gigi: Ok, Ok. Exhibit A. Chad the drummer who lived in a storage space. He only used me for rides and yet I continued to stalk him for most of 1998. Then oh, um, there was Don, that broke up with me every Friday so that he could have his weekends free. I was delusional about that relationship. I used to refer to him as my husband to random people, like my dental hygienist. Anyway, all my friends used to tell me about how things might work out with these dipsticks because they knew someone, who knew someone, who dated a dipstick just like mine. That girl ended up getting married and living happily ever after. That’s the exception and we’re not the exception, we’re the rule.
Now the above quote is so apt for Connor as well! I mean, Anna’s not interested. She’s just using you as a safety net, a fallback. Wake up and smell the BS! When she’s lonely, or needs reassurance that someone loves her, she goes to you! Yeap. When I first watched the film, that was screaming so loudly in my head I wanted to yell at Connor for being so dumb! But looking at the way he cuddles with Anna in bed, (haha) no wonder Anna wasn’t in love with him.
And the very last story I’ve yet to talk about is Janine, Anna, & Ben. I admit Janine is very intense and I can see that the cracks have already formed between Ben and Janine. All it took to smash it to pieces is a beautiful woman in the form of Scarlett Johansson’s Anna.
“What if you meet the love of your life but you already married someone else? Are you supposed to let them pass you by?”
That is indeed a very good question. What would you do? Would you walk away from someone you think is ‘The One’? Or do you risk it all in the hopes or belief that someone you’re not married to is the elusive ‘The One’? I hope I never ever have to face such a situation and I hope my hubby won’t too. I guess that’s why right now, I recognise the importance to get it right right from the start. “You’re a dick if you date a girl for too long and don’t marry her, but then you marry her and you’re an asshole for getting married before you’re ready.” Poor Ben. But his error in judgement has made me even more adamant that one should be very sure and ready to be committed before getting married.
Of course helps that the film has a great cast. In fact, this film made me really sit up and notice Ginnifer Goodwin for the first time. I mean I’ve seen her in Win A Date With Ted Hamiliton! and Mona Lisa Smile before He’s Just Not That Into You, but this film made me notice her and I started following her films like Something Borrowed and Ramona and Beezus. Anyhow, during the promotion of He’s Just Not That Into You, I really love this photo of Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Aniston and Drew Barrymore so I had to look for it and share it with everyone.
Jennifer Aniston,Drew Barrymore, & Ginnifer Goodwin
– Marie Claire Magazine March 2009
(1) Ken Kwapis has directed films like The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants (2005), License To Wed (2007), and Big Miracle (2012).
(2) Ginnifer Goodwin has acted in films like Mona Lisa Smile (2003), Win A Date With Ted Hamiliton! (2004), Walk The Line (2005), In The Land Of Women (2007), Ramona and Beezus (2010), and Something Borrowed (2011). She is well known for her role as Margene Heffman in Big Love (2006-2011) and in the new series Once Upon A Time (2011-present) as Snow White and Mary Margaret Blanchard.
(3) Kevin Connolly has acted in films like The Notebook (2004), and The Ugly Truth (2009). He is well known for his role as Eric Murphy in Entourage (2004-2011).
(4) Scarlett Johansson has acted in films like The Horse Whisperer (1998), Lost In Translation (2003), Girl With A Pearl Earring (2003), The Perfect Score (2004), In Good Company (2004), The Island (2005), Match Point (2005), Scoop (2006), The Black Dahlia (2006), The Prestige (2006), The Nanny Diaries (2007), The Other Boleyn Girl (2008), Vicky Christina Barcelona (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), We Bought A Zoo (2011), and The Avengers (2012).
(8) Jennifer Connelly has acted in films like The Rocketeer (1991), Inventing The Abbotts (1997), Requiem For A Dream (2000), Pollock (2000), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Hulk (2003), Blood Diamond (2006), Reservation Road (2007), The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008), Inkheart (2008), Creation (2009), Virginia (2010), and Noah (2014). She has also performed the role of Anna Leonowens in The King and I on Broadway from 1996 to 1998.
(10) Drew Barrymore has acted in films like E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982), Firestarter (1984), Poison Ivy (1992), Batman Forever (1995), Scream (1996), The Wedding Singer (1998), Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998), Never Been Kissed (1999), Charlie’s Angels (2000), Donnie Darko (2001), Riding In Cars With Boys (2001), Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind (2002), Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle (2003), Duplex (2003), 50 First Dates (2004), Fever Pitch (2005), Music And Lyrics (2007), Lucky You (2007), Whip It (2009), Going The Distance (2010), and Big Miracle (2012). She also did voice work on the animations Titan A.E. (2000), Curious George (2006).